This past weekend was Easter weekend (in case you hadn't heard). There were egg hunts every where, including the White House! People were dying eggs, giving gifts, celebrating the long weekend, and enjoying family's company. My own family had an entire day of "festivities". I took Jonathan home with me. Well, actually, we went to Houston shopping with my Mom on Friday and I just happened to find some shirts that were perfect! That night we took my Granny out to dinner, so that I could see her and so we could celebrate Easter with her. Then Saturday we got to sleep late and then went to Mawmaw's to help her set up for the big day!
Sunday, Easter morning, I got to go out and help Mawmaw set up all the food, and even cook some! Zac came and had a blast finding eggs lying in the grass and then all the cousins got to dye a dozen eggs each. It was quite the production, and I loved every second of it! (Especially when the Easter baskets made their appearance :D)
But, as I'm driving home I start to wonder... How many people celebrate Easter because it is a day off school, or because it is the day my Savior rose from the grave? Do we simply use the day as an excuse to exchange gifts, or do we really remember and know what the day is all about? We call it Good Friday, but does anyone know why it is Good anymore? I, for one, know that I definitely got caught up in the fun of eggs and gifts, rather than focusing on what we were supposed to be truly celebrating.
How many people went to church in this great nation? How many people sang hymns, or even knew what they were singing if they were at a church? Has this nation completely forgot, or is it just me? The President went to church for an Easter service. That's encouraging, until you read further and see it is only his fifth time since he entered the Office.
I did not mean to get off onto some political thing, but did you wonder? Did you remember what it was truly about? Did you give thanks for all you have been given?
Have a blessed week! Don't forget to remember :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment